Saturday, June 4, 2011

Job Searching

I've been spending the past few weekends job searching...so as you can guess, the stress is getting to me. But there's a silver lining to this story. I'm getting better at breaking down big jobs into smaller tasks. For example, completing a whole online job application, plus resume, and detailed cover letter is a total pain. I dread doing it, and in the past I would have wasted time just hoping that some random person would walk up to me on the street and offer me a dream job. Alas, that hasn't happened yet. So here I am filling out the dreaded job applications. But I have a new strategy, break down the application into manageable parts. I make teeny tiny goals, so that I can get through the goal and keep my motivation high. For example, I make lists of possible references and contact them. Then I may write the first paragraph of a cover letter. Slowly but surely I get the task accomplished, and it doesn't feel like the big bad application that I thought it was!

Another good strategy is to switch tasks every 45 minutes, so that you don't get bored. I get lots of small projects accomplished (like writing a blog post in between job applications!) and I don't feel like I've been toiling away all day without being productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment