Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mindful Eating Part 1

As you know, I've been reading up on mindful eating. Basically, mindful eating is the practice of slowing down to enjoy and savor your food. The most important things to know for practicing mindful eating are:
1. Don't multi-task while eating. (No driving, TV watching, reading, etc)
2. Allow yourself to taste and savor your food.
3. Enjoy!

I am a notorious multi-tasker, and before I started reading these books I would usually eat breakfast over my laptop reading all the news for the day. I find it hard to sit still and just focus on my food. However, I've realized that my multi-tasking habit was really causing me to just shovel food into my mouth without even tasting it. I didn't take time to appreciate the different flavors and textures, even though I had taken the time to prepare a healthy breakfast.

For example, I just made up a bowl of low-fat plain yogurt, fresh sliced peaches, ground flax, and honey. Yet somehow, as I sat down to enjoy the yummy dish, I ended up just spooning into my mouth and swallowing without tasting anything. After I noticed that I couldn't taste the honey, I slowed down and took one bite at a time. I chewed and swallowed one bite without lifting my spoon for the second bite. Taking these few extra seconds gave me enough time to enjoy all the flavors in the ripe peach and honey. It was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment